Sunday, May 10, 2009

reading!

I have a confession to make. I read kids books. And I like them. :)

My cousin asked me a few weeks ago if I was reading the Percy Jackson series. I told him that I wasn't, and that I hadn't even heard of it. He launched into about 101 reasons why this is a series I had to read. At the time I didn't think much of it, because he's 12 and I don't have much in common with 12 year old boys as a general rule. But my sister had also read these books (she teaches 5th grade so she has a better excuse than I do), and she gave them a thumbs up as well. So I started reading them.

I finished the 5th (and last book) in a week. One week. I couldn't put the stupid things down! I was reading until 3 in the morning (which isn't that late, but is definitely later than I am normally awake). The series is about a boy who has tons of adventures, because he's half-human half-god (think greek gods like Zeus and Poseidon). If you liked Harry Potter, you definitely should give these a shot. They are shorter books in general, but really well written.

Now that I'm done with my distraction, I guess its back to cuddling up with The Politics of Abortion. Sigh.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If you like kid's books and can stand scifi/fantasy, I'd recommend Christopher Stasheff's Warlock series.

Written during the Cold War, he uses magic/psyonics as a setting to teach what we call conservatism.

Plus puns. Lots of puns.

HA! Verification word was somerod. Main character of the Stasheff seris? Rod Gallowglass.