Wednesday, March 18, 2009

an unrequested music review

For some really really strange reason I am obsessed with the newest Snow Patrol album. Their first one was okay, but I thought they were kind of overplayed and not stellar. But the new album has totallly grabbed me... It's different from what they've done before, but still familiar. They just got it right, ya know? And I have one line stuck in my head all the time... (language warning.... but its my blog and I can cuss if I want to :) it goes:

"Cool your beans my son/ you look a fuckin mess"

Why this stands out to me, I really can't tell you. In the context of the song its just cool. Fits. And I think its appropriate to so many people on so many levels. A line you could use multiple times throughout the day. Someone breathing down your neck in line at the grocery store, tapping their foot, looking at their watch, hair all wind-blown and messed up, out of breath from rushing from aisle to aisle for their stupid groceries? Use it then. Your friend comes in, whining on and on about their stupid boyfriend and how he hasn't gotten her a new whatever in wayyyyy too long, screeching with that really high voice that girls only use when they're trying to be pissed off? Use it then. I don't know. Just seems like I would want to say it like 15 times a day.

So anyway, check out their album. Love it.

The Frays new one... not so much. Its good, if you liked the first album. I was just under the impression that since they waited 3 years to release their sophomore album that it might have some new stuff. It doesn't. The lyrics are good, but the sound is identical to their first. 3 out of 5 stars.

If you're looking for some new music, check out The Bird and the Bee (I like both albums but "Ray Guns are not Just for the Future" is my fave), Priscilla Ahn (she's very laid back, almost like Norah Jones but I like her more than Norah) and if you want something to dance to, Lady GaGa is pretty cool. She's kinda trashy, but the songs are fun and catchy.

Just felt like talking about music I guess. I love finding new music. It's good for the soul.